Personal technical blog of Aristarkh Zagorodnikov. Topics covered include (or at least plan to include) C++, C#, MongoDB, NGINX and other development technologies.
.NET ResourceManager loading incorrect resources
Recently, we found that some of our backends were serving pages in the wrong language. A simple application domain recycling helped, but the problem manifested itself several days later after another publish. I've spent about 4 hours investigating, and found out, that we're not the only people with the same problem. It appears that there is a bug in .NET's ResourceManager class that leads to wrong resources being loaded. There is some kind of a race condition that occurs when multiple threads try to create access the same underlying resource file. Thankfully, it's was easy enough to reproduce, but it won't be easy to fix (externally), so I reported it and hoping for a fix from Microsoft. While the temporary workaround seems obvious (just access resources under some kind of a lock), the most common case of ResourceManager class usage (autogenerated *.Designer.cs files which are created when you add resources file) would be very hard to patch by hand. Maybe custom "ThreadSafeResXFileCodeGenerator" would do, if Microsoft won't come up with a quick solution.
Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)
Post a Comment